Sunday, January 2, 2011

First and Second Roll from the Leica



One thing about the Leica is that its bottom-loading, meaning you load the film by pushing it up into the bottom of the camera. Usually you the back opens up and you just lay the film down. 40's technology, go figure. Another thing is that you have to cut the film leader before you load it. This video shows how the whole process goes. As you can see its a bit tricky. After a couple times you get better at it though. The first few pictures from the Leica came from a roll Jay gave to me for free.
Like I said, nice guy. It was a 12-frame roll of Fujifilm. YKL I think. It was expired, so the pictures aren't that clear, but i didnt care. I just wanted to start shooting. I finished the roll shooting stuff in and around our house:

Empty Lot down the road

Our neighbors' flowers



My dad, Bong




Where Im posting this from

Front view of our house
The pictures are pretty random and have crappy quality, but I was really giddy when I first saw them, because I finally accomplished my goal of restoring the Leica. Shooting the first roll reminded me of when I started taking pictures with my tito's hand-me-down Nikon Coolpix. I was 14 then. It was my first digital camera (64MB CF card yo!) and I remember then it was all about experimentation. I shot all sorts of ramdom stuff, mostly around the house. I didnt care if they had proper composition or if they meant anything, I just wanted pretty pictures. It was interesting going back to that with the Leica.

Here's the second roll:

















Nothing. I didnt load the film properly (I told you, its tricky) so nothing came out.  I didnt make sure that the gear teeth in the film winder ate into the roll's perforations. That really bummed me out. Plus I paid for that roll, so yeah, Php100 down the drain. Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment